Mission and History of KNM

Mission Statement

The Kyoto National Museum was established as an institution for the collection and preservation of cultural properties. In addition to exhibiting its collections to the public, the Museum conducts related research and conservation projects.

History of Kyoto National Museum

May 1889
A government system to establish the Imperial Museum of Kyoto and the Imperial Museum of Nara, also including the Imperial Museum (currently the Tokyo National Museum), is enacted.
October 1890
Decision made for the Imperial Museum of Kyoto to be built on the grounds of the Shichij Imperial Estate.
June 1892
Construction begins on the Main Exhibition Hall, designed by architect Tokuma Katayama.
October 1895
Construction of the Main Exhibition Hall (current Special Exhibition Hall) is completed.
May 1897
The Museum opens its first exhibition.
June 1900
In accordance with government reforms, the museum name changes to the Imperial Household Museum of Kyoto.
February 1924
The Museum is donated to the City of Kyoto in commemoration of the marriage of the Crown Prince; name changes to Imperial Gift Museum of Kyoto.
April 1952
The Museum becomes a national institution and affiliate of the Committee for the Preservation of Cultural Properties (today Agency for Cultural Affairs). Name changes to the Kyoto National Museum.
March 1965
The Collections Hall, designed by architect Keiichi Morita, is completed.
October 1966
Opening ceremony of the new Collections Hall and opening of commemorative exhibition in the Collections Hall.
June 1968
Kyoto National Museum becomes an affiliated institution of the Agency of Cultural Affairs.
March 1969
The Main Exhibition Hall, Main Gate, and Ticket Area are designated Cultural Properties of the former Imperial Museum of Kyoto.
July 1980
Conservation Center for Cultural Properties opens.
April 1981
Kyoto Center for the Research of Cultural Archives is established.
July 1984
Conservation Center for Cultural Properties becomes an affiliated institution of the Agency of Cultural Affairs.
April 1994
Collaboration and cooperation begins with the Graduate School of Human and Environmental Studies of Kyoto University.
May 1994
1000th lecture of the Saturday Lecture Series is celebrated.
August 1994
New Ticket Entrance is constructed at the Main Gate.
October 1997
Ceremony celebrating 100 years of the Museum is held.
March 2001
The South Gate is renovated as part of the new construction project for the new Collections Hall. The former Higashiyama Ward Office is purchased to the Museum Administrative Office during the construction project.
April 2001
Kyoto National Museum becomes an independent administrative institution as part of the new Japanese government reorganization plan.
March 2002
The construction of the East Storage Facility and Library begins in conjunction with the construction project of the new Collections Hall.
May 2002
Renovations on the Former Higashiyama Ward Office begin in conjunction with the construction project of the new Collections Hall.
October 2002
Teahouse Tan’an is restored and reopened.
March 2009
Reconstruction begins on former Collections Hall.
August 2013
Heisei Chishinkan Wing (new Collections Hall) is completed.
September 2014
Heisei Chishinkan Wing (new Collections Hall) opened.

A Message to Museum Visitors

↑ Back to Top