Accessibility and Barrier-Free Information
For visitors with disabilities
- The Kyoto National Museum is committed to accessibility for all visitors. Disabled persons and one caregiver may enter the museum free of charge with proof of disability.
- A limited number of manual, assisted, and height-adjustable wheelchairs may be borrowed free of charge at the museum entrance. Please consult our staff for assistance.
- There are accessible multipurpose toilets on every floor as well as in the South Gate ticketing area and the Garden.
Visitors with young children
- Diaper changing stations are located in the multipurpose restrooms on each floor of the Heisei Chishinkan Wing as well as the South Gate ticketing area and the Garden.
- Baby seats are installed in the restrooms on each floor and in the Garden.
- A Nursing Room with baby seats is located near the restrooms on the first floor of the Heisei Chishinkan Wing.
- Baby strollers may be borrowed for free at the museum entrance. We may ask you to refrain from using baby strollers if the exhibition galleries are crowded. Our staff will keep your stroller while you view the exhibits. We appreciate your cooperation.
- Service dogs for visitors with physical disabilities are welcome in the museum.
- Toilet facilities for ostomates are located on the first floor of the Heisei Chishinkan Wing and in the Garden.
First Aid Station
- Please inform our staff if you feel sick. A First Aid Station is located on the first floor of the Heisei Chishinkan Wing.
AED (Automated External Defibrillator)
- An automated external defibrillator (AED) is a medical device that checks the heart rhythm and sends an electric shock to the heart to restore a normal rhythm.
AEDs are located on the first floor of the Heisei Chishinkan Wing and at the South Gate.
Visitors may stow luggage in coin lockers located on the first floor and basement level of the Heisei Chishinkan Wing. Additional lockers may be temporarily installed during special exhibitions. A 100-yen coin is required to use the locker, but the coin will be returned when you are finished using it.