Hours and Admissions
|The Collection Galleries||January 2–March 22, 2020|
|Tuesday - Thursday, Sunday, March 6, 7, 13, 14||9:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Entrance until 4:30 p.m.)|
|Fridays and Saturdays (except March 6, 7, 13, 14)||9:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
(Entrance until 7:30 p.m.)
|The Collection Galleries||General||Group of more than 20|
|Adult||520 yen||410 yen|
|University Student (ID required)||260 yen||210 yen|
- Admission is free for high school students and other youths age 0–17, seniors over 70, visitors with disabilities and one caretaker, and for Campus Members (including faculty). Please show I.D.
- A separate ticket is required for admission to Special Exhibitions. Please refer to the Special Exhibitions page.
When Special Exhibitions are underway, it is not possible to buy separate admission to the Collection Galleries.
- Admission for school groups: Admission to the Collection Galleries is free for elementary school, middle school, and high school students on school fieldtrips as well as teachers serving as their guides.
- A Free Admission Day has been scheduled for Saturday, September 7, 2019. Admission to the museum will be free.
We accept these credit card at the ticket booth.
Museum Closures and Special Hours
When Monday is a national holiday, the museum will be opened on Monday and closed on the next day(Tuesday).
- Special Hours:
- In 2019, the museum will be opened continuously from Monday, April 29 through Monday, May 6. On Tuesday, May 7, the museum will be closed.
- In 2019, the museum will be opened on Monday, September 2, so continuously opened from Tuesday, August 27 through Sunday, September 8.
- In 2019, the museum will be opened on Monday, November 18, so continuously opened from Tuesday, November 12 through Sunday, November 24.
- The museum will be closed on
Friday, April 12, 2019;
Friday, October 11, 2019;
and from Tuesday, December 24, 2019 through Wednesday, January 1, 2020.
- 2019 Permanent Collection (Thematic Exhibitions) Galleries Closures:
- Collection Galleries are either closed or used as Special Exhibitions Galleries from Saturday, April 13 to Sunday, June 9 and from Saturday, October 12 to Sunday, November 24.
- When Special Exhibitions are underway, one cannot buy a separate ticket for the Collection Galleries. To access them, one must purchase a ticket for the Special Exhibition.
- The Museum Galleries* are Closed:
- Tuesday, March 19 through Thursday, April 12, 2019**
- Tuesday, June 11 through Sunday, June 30, 2019
- Tuesday, September 18 through Thursday, October 11, 2019**
- Tuesday, November 26 through Sunday, December 22, 2019
- Tuesday, March 24, 2020 through TBD
**The entire museum will be closed on Friday, April 12 and on Friday, October 11, 2019
- Admission to the Museum Gardens and Outdoor Exhibits:
- When the Collection galleries are closed, one may purchase admission to the gardens and outdoor exhibitions for 260 yen and, for groups of 20 people or more, for 210 yen including guide booklet to the Kyoto National Museum gardens and outdoor exhibits.
Admission to the gardens and outdoor exhibitions is free for university students and younger, seniors over 70, visitors with disabilities and one caretaker, and for Campus Members (including faculty). Please show I.D. Sorry, but guide booklet is not provided with free admission.
Extended Hours are not in effect for admission to the gardens and outdoor exhibitions.
*Please see above information on Museum Closures and check the Museum Calendar ahead of your visit.